The history of our headquarters
The Simpson Clough Paper Mill, home of Union Papertech has been a part of Heywood’s community since the 19th Century. Even though Union Papertech are now world renowned for producing specialist filter paper, this hadn’t always been the case.
When the mill opened in 1840 it was built as a ‘Fulling Mill’. Fulling was a step in woolen cloth making which involved the cleaning of cloth to get rid of oils, dirt’s and other impurities whilst also making it stronger.
By the 1880s, the mill became a dye works under the ownership of Oran T & Sons and continued to be a thriving dye works until the Crompton family bought the mill from the Barker Bros in 1939, nearly 100 years after it first opened!
In 2006, the business was bought by the Puri family, renamed Union Papertech and became part of the prestigious Purico Group.